Friday, November 5, 2010

"Keep Breathing" by Ingrid Michaelson

I'm not really sure exactly how to introduce this song without a little personal interlude.

Life is not always easy, and it certainly is not always fun.  A lot of times in my life when I have been in a tough place music has been a good friend to me.  There is something about music that has always helped me to process things, so sometimes when I was sad I would start out listening to sad music and then just kind of find myself turning towards something that is hopeful and uplifting.  I used to have a real problem with buying lots and lots of cd's.  A lot of times if I had a good week I would stop by the store and pick up an album, and if I had a bad week I might stop by and pick up two. Through high school and college I drove around this little beat up 1995 Suzuki Sidekick.  I loved that little car, but at the end of the day it was really only worth a couple hundred dollars. I always kept that car locked though because even though it was only worth a few hundred dollars I knew there were thousands of dollars worth of cd's inside.

A few months ago I was talking to my sister and she suggested that I listen to Ingrid Michaelson.  I knew a few of her more popular songs, but I was really impressed when I took some time to listen to her songwriting.  Some of her songs are light and airy pop ballads, but she is a serious artists with a lot to say.  I appreciate her hopeful outlook on life, and she is perfect for a little boost of optimism.

"Keep Breathing" is a song about making it through difficult times in life.  I think Ingrid is writing about that time when you're right at the place where you're coming out of a difficult experience and you don't really know what to do, but you know if you keep going things are going to get better. The lyrics are simple and heartfelt. I love how the song begins with a fragile sound and builds into a powerful exclamation to keep breathing in life, to not give up.  It's simple, encouraging, and when she sings it... I believe her.

I hope you like the song, and I was honored to see that a lot of people still read the blog yesterday after weeks of negligence on my part. Thanks, and I would love to hear your song of the day. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Ingrid’s song Tiger. It is quite moving. "And it Spread", Avett Brothers has been on my mind for a few days now...as most of their songs are...but this one in particular. Not sure if it is due to the fact that it is -1 degrees in our apartment or a few challenging blessings currently occurring or a health combination of both. Either way I love the song and there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bro, good pick. i'm the same way with tunes. usually i start with something pretty depressing, like "the lowering". you know what that's about. when i need a pick-me-up, though, i turn to something that reminds me of happy, simple times. "here (in your arms)" by hellogoodbye is powerpop madness, but it's a really fun song that will get your foot tapping. it reminds me of a lot of close friends who are no longer in pittsburgh, but will always be in my heart.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwZGgpH3W14

    ReplyDelete