Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Behind Me Now / El Camino Reprise" by Amos Lee

A few posts ago I said how there was a lot of good musicians releasing albums this year that i was looking forward to hearing.  I didn't include Amos Lee on that list, and that was a bad decision on my part. On January 25th Amos Lee released "Mission Bell," and about two weeks ago I gave it a shot.  I enjoy Amos Lee.  I blogged about his soulful voice a while ago, and he displays that same style of singing on this album.  In fact, the album is pretty similar to a lot of Amos Lee's other albums with a maybe just a touch more of a Gospel and South Western Country style.  Amos features some talented guest singers on the album like Sam Beam and everyones best friend Willie Nelson.  If you have enjoyed his previous albums then you will definitely want to give this album a listen.  I enjoyed listening to the album the whole way through as one track builds into the next, so I would recommend to give it a try while you're spending a night at home doing work or reading a good book.

The song "Behind Me Now / El Camino Reprise" is the last song on the album, and it definitely ends the album on a high note.  I read a review once that described Amos Lee's songwriting as music for the heart but not for the head, and I could not disagree with that more when it comes to this song.  When you read the lyrics for this track they are really moving. Lee is writing about the cycle of relationships and some pretty sad stuff.  The culmination of the song for me was when in a quiet, humble voice Lee sings "All my ships have sailed away..."  Lee is good, the album is good, and hopefully if you've gone through a rough relationship or two it will work like the line in this track that says "yes I've loved and lost and loved again."  It's sad, but its not a hopeless kind of sad. 


I don't think that Lee will ever be the biggest name in music because he isn't really a cutting edge guy or a controversial guy or anything like that, but he's a solid musician.  Give him a listen, he's worth the ten bucks for the album.  I couldnt find a live performance of these two songs together, so the video below has the studio version of El Camino Reprise.  The older country singer with a little bit of gravel in his voice accompanying Amos Lee on this song is Willie Nelson.




Amos Lee - El Camino (Reprise) ((feat... by EMI_Music

No comments:

Post a Comment