Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Fight Outta You" by Ben Harper

Ben Harper is a talented musician. I don't have a great reason why this is the song of my day, I was just driving down the road and the line "I would rather take your punch than not give you a shot" popped into my head.  So I gave the song a good listening, and it is definitely a good jam.

Harper has a unique and varied musical past.  He has some music that rocks pretty hard, and at the same time is known for skill on the guitar and his soft soulful voice.  I remember a few years ago I read in a relevant magazine interview that Ben had either broken or dislocated ribs from screaming so hard at a concert.  I know that sounds far fetched and tried to find that article online but didn't have any luck, so you'll have to take my word for it or find it yourself. Harper has partnered with Jack Johnson on his label Brushfire Records, and in 2005 won the grammy for best traditional soul gospel album.

The song "Fight Outta You" comes from his 2007 album "Lifeline."  Lifeline is an album that demonstrates Harper's tremendous voice and skilled acoustic guitar playing.  This has been an album that I have gone to over and over again since its release in good times and bad times.  It has good music, a lot of soul, and doesnt get boring.  "Fight Outta You" has tons of great one liners, in a song about taking a chance on someone.  I remember sitting at my good friend Ron Cepek's house when he lived in Rochester and we were hanging out talking about that moment with a girl where you really aren't sure if she's into you or not, and you're trying to decide whether or not its worth taking a shot.  When we were talking that night it was shortly after I got this album and I referenced that line and then like 10 minutes later a song from the album came on the music channel that was on the tv.  I enjoy those moments in life where you sit around with friends listening to a good song and not really saying anything because you're just taking it all in.

I hope you like the song, dont let it take the fight outta you.



No comments:

Post a Comment