Monday, October 18, 2010

"Heart of Gold" by Neil Young

I love listening to Neil Young in the fall.  The truth is that I love listening to Neil Young all the time, but on a day like today where it is cold enough to wear a jacket and a wool cap, but still nice enough to sit on the porch at the coffee shop and enjoy the fall colors, Neil Young is the right choice.

I've been a Neil Young fan for a long time. I remember there was this made for TV mini-series called "the 60's" in 1999 that really turned me on to a lot of music from that era.  The first Neil Young song that I really liked was probably "Somethings Happening Here" by Buffalo Springfield. I went to see Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young on a little reunion tour with my sister and a friend when i was in college, and I was hooked.  I can remember walking away from that show and having that feeling that these four guys were born to sing harmonies with each other.

My favorite Neil Young album  is definitely "Harvest." I know, it's everyones favorite Neil Young album, but its true.  The album is packed with a ton of great hits and it has that very distinct jagged guitar sound that mixes with his fragile falsetto voice. The song that rises above the rest for me is definitely "Heart of Gold."  I remember listening to this song as a kid in high school and it spoke deeply to me about life. Then I remember listening to this album on a fishing trip with my dad up in Potter County, and when this song came on we talked about how he felt a connection with the song when he was a kid.  As I look back on that day now, I think it is really cool that a song that meant so much to me, meant a lot to my dad when he was my age.

The leaves are falling in the breeze right now, and its time to go, but check out this video... and keep searching.


1 comment: