Friday, October 1, 2010

"Lover, You Should Have Come Over" by Jeff Buckley

Jeff Buckley is known as a guy who played a hauntingly awesome version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," and a musician who died to young under strange circumstances.  Jeff grew up the son of musician Tim Buckley in Southern California, and spent the early days of his music career filling in with bands playing guitar in the LA music scene.  Shortly after a move to Manhattan in the early 90's Buckley started working on his solo career and released his only studio album "Grace" in 1993.  In 1997, for reasons unclear, Buckley went for a swim fully clothed in the Wolf River, and his body was found four days later. While Buckley had a short musical career and a short life, he has gained the respect of a lot of musicians and fans in the time since his passing.  There have also been multiple studio recordings and live albums released since his death.

This weekend I am at a training at Mahaffey camp, and this afternoon I got a little free time and went for a drive.  I didn't really know the area around the camp that well so I just started driving around and listening to some music.  There was a nice chill in the air even though it was a really sunny day, and fall is starting to look really beautiful.  The slight breeze in the air had leaves falling across the road and I went back into some of the hills on dirt roads, crossing over shaky bridges and and old railroad tracks.  As I was starting my way up one of the hills "Lover, You Should Have Come Over" came on my itunes.  The first place I heard this song was from Jamie Cullum, a guy from England that makes cool Jazz music.  Buckley's version (the original) of this song blew Cullum way out of the water as the song crescendos into this incredibly powerful ballad about regrets and second chances.  As I was coming to the top of the hill and the song was getting more and more powerful there was a beautiful fall scene before me, and a beautiful song to accompany the moment.

Buckley is the man.  Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. "Je N'En Connais Pas La Fin" was beautiful + wonderful by the way. Great suggestion. That's what friends are for.

    ReplyDelete