Monday, October 4, 2010

"Janglin'" by Edward Sharpe and the magnetic Zero's


I can't remember who or what introduced me to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's. I really felt like it was a significant moment when i went to write this, but I'm obviously wrong. the first time I heard them I was probably just driving down the road listening to WYEP or something like that. Anyway, their song "Home" really stuck with me even from the first listen. it's kind of an infectious hippie pop ballad about how home is where the heart is, and the vocals playing back and forth between Alex and Jade just put off really good vibes.

I spent a ton of time listening to their music on my first trip to Seattle. While I dig the song "Home," the SOTD is "Janglin'." This song is crazy, and the truth is that I don't really know what they mean when they're talking about Janglin Souls and all kinds of other crazy stuff. The song starts off with sirens in the background and has light hearted happy choruses that build up with warm horn sections all while Alex is telling seemingly serious stories about being set free, the man from Galilee, and waking people up. This song is all over the map, but then so is the band.

One of the cool things about Newport Folk Festival was that bands that weren't performing were hanging out and listening to other musicians. On Sunday we were walking around checking out some different art tents while Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings were playing, and when we walked out of a tent we noticed a really tall skinny guy with a white suit, red scarf, big shaggy beard, and a crazy blue hat. He was sitting in the middle of this big blanket having some food and there were a bunch of people around him playing with hula hoops. Bacon recognized the guy as Alex from Edward Sharpe, and once we were pretty sure it was him, I went over to talk to him. I don't know what I really expected and I haven't talked to lots of popular musicians, but dudes like the Avett Brothers and The Low Anthem were really down the earth, but this was not the case with Alex. I walked over and said something like "hey, you're Alex from Edward Sharpe right?" and he barely even looked at me. He just pointed his finger up in the air, started twirling it around, and said "we're all really Edward Sharpe." It was kind of weird, and then later that day they played one of the best sets of the entire festival.

I kind of wondered how legitimate they were after that encounter, and now their songs are all over TV's promoting the NFL and Ford Fiesta's so I'm tempted to throw out the sell out label, but at the end of the day I like this song, they make some catchy tunes, and everybody is trying to make a buck right? 


This video is done backstage after a concert.  The camera that you see in the way is the camera crew from take-away shows. Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. i have not contributed enough. this is my favorite edward sharpe song. we are all edward sharpe.

    ReplyDelete