Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Boots of Spanish Leather" by Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is an American Icon.  The way that his music and his message inspires musicians and music fans to this day is incredible.  I remember a few years ago when I saw Dylan at the New American Music Union Festival in Pittsburgh in the summer of 2008.  That night we watched up and coming fads like Gnarls Barkley, we saw impressive talent and showmanship as Jack White led the Raconteurs, and we watched Bob Dylan, the legend, close out the evening.  The fact that the headliner for the "New" American Music Union was a man who began his music career five decades earlier is impressive.

I would have called myself a big Dylan fan for years, but the reality is that I knew a few of his biggest songs and besides that I was all talk.  It wasn't until I saw a band of friends, "Call of the Mild" (made up of Christian, Bacon, and Amy and Nate Ny) play the song "Boots of Spanish Leather" that I really got into Dylan.  I remember after their show going out and buying "The Times They are a Changin'"  and really appreciating his songs. 



His lyrics are genius, his message is powerful, his guitar playing moves along, his voice is a trademark, and his music is timeless.

This is a wonderfully written song about a complicated world, I hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Great song. Great album. Loving this idea. I gave you a shout on my blog...you inspired me to post my monthly playlist. Check when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My SOTD for 9/23/10 is "Sleepytime in the Western World" by Blitzen Trapper. I walked into the Beaver Falls Coffee and Tea Company a little bit groggy this morning. I sat down at a table alone and scanned my iTunes.

    The first song to catch my eye happened to be this one. The tune is catchy, and the lyrics are easy to pick up. The lead singer has a unique voice. Breakdowns are used very well create an anticipation for the chorus to come back in. On a lonely, tired morning it was simply destined to be Song of the Day.

    ReplyDelete