Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Raining in Baltimore" by Counting Crows

This was really my SOTD yesterday, but my computer was messed up and wouldn't let me get online.  Lucky for me, today is still dreary, and the Counting Crows are still awesome.  The Counting Crows are a tried and true American Rock Band.  They gained popularity during the early 90's as a pop-rock band with hits like "Mr. Jones" and "Round Here."  The Crows are a fun loving Southern California band that plays a lot of upbeat fun summertime songs, and have toured with acts like Bob Dylan and The Cranberries.  I loved the Counting Crows in high school, and even though their popularity has kind of stumbled in the last couple of years with a CD that fell under some critical reviews in early 2008, they are still a great  band with some really solid songs.

"Raining in Baltimore" is a song off their 1993 release "August and Everything After." This song is a sad, simple, heartfelt song.  As Adam belts out powerful lines about getting what you pay for in life you can hear that he means what he's saying. In desperation when he forces out sad lyrics like "There's things I remember and things I forget, I miss you I guess that I should, Three thousand five hundred miles away, but what would you change if you could?" The Counting Crows were the first concert that I ever saw at the Post Gazette Pavilion, and in the few times that I have seen them since then it has always seemed like Adam was deep guy that really meant what he said.  I've seen concerts where he rambled on for twenty minutes about how "dislocation" is the greatest problem in our world today, and anyone who watches him knows that he is into what he's saying.

I don't really know if the rain Adam is singing about is falling from the sky or if life is pouring on him, but this song  always hits me hard and on a rainy overcast day like today it just seems fitting. As I was listening to the song I realized I could use a raincoat today... the truth is I could probably go for a phone call too.

I couldn't find an official music video or a good live performance of the song, so my apologies for the boring video.

1 comment:

  1. Every verse digs deeper into my heart, unveiling things I have forgotten about. As more is remembered the feelings amp with the song. It is truly lovley.

    ReplyDelete